Guide for first time users
If this is your first time submitting a tax return using software, this page answers some common questions.
Why do I need to buy commercial software to submit my tax return?
Although most tax payers can submit their Self Assessment Tax Return using the HMRC website, HMRC do not make all of the forms available on that system, so commercial software is required.
Common cases where commercial software must be used are:
- Submitting a tax return for a previous year
- Individuals who were non-resident in the UK for part or all of the tax year
- Ministers of religion
- Individuals with income from a trust or estate
- Submitting a return for a partnership
How much does the software cost?
- Submitting a return for an individual (per tax year) costs £15 + VAT
- Submitting a return for a partnership (per tax year) costs £20 + VAT
- 'Bundles' are available if you need multiple licenses e.g. for two individuals
How do I submit my return using your software?
- You need to have a Government Gateway account for the individual/partnership and have activated the Self Assessment service.
- The first step for filling out the return is to download and install our application on your PC or Mac.
- Work through the form using the Next button - pages relevant to you are automatically added based on your responses.
- When you are ready to submit to HMRC, purchase a license key from our website and paste that into the application when prompted.
- You will then be able to submit your tax return to HMRC by entering your Government Gateway username and password.
- Your data is sent directly to HMRC and the process will finish with a success message and a you'll get a digital receipt.
- You can then save out your return as a PDF so you can print it or keep it as a backup.
- Your tax return submission will appear on your account on the HMRC website after 2 or 3 days. Please be patient.
- Make sure you pay your tax bill before the 31 January deadline.